1.5 Criminal Justice: Does prison work? - with The Secret Barrister and Paula Harriott
Media Storm presented by Mathilda Mallinson and Helena Wadia
Read the transcript: https://mediastormpodcast.com/2022/02/07/1-5-criminal-justice-does-prison-work-with-the-secret-barrister-and-paula-harriott/
Plans to lock up 20,000 new prisoners, a Home Secretary who wants criminals to “literally feel terror”, and the highest incarceration rate in Western Europe…
This is the UK’s ‘tough on crime’ mantle, and a political battleground fought all over the world. Media outlets vilify ‘thugs’ and ‘terrorists’ while politicians auction for the ‘law and order’ vote. But with no clear correlation between incarceration and crime rates, are we keeping people safe, or just keeping them scared?
This week, your hosts sit down with The Secret Barrister and former prisoner Paula Harriott to talk all things crime - from prisons to Prince Andrew - after heading behind bars to answer one simple question: does prison work?
- Mathilda Mallinson @mathildamall
- Helena Wada @helenawadia
Get in touch
- Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/mediastormpod
- or Instagram https://www.instagram.com/mediastormpod
- or Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@mediastormpod
- like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MediaStormPod
- send us an email email@example.com
- check out our website https://mediastormpodcast.com
Music by Samfire @soundofsamfire. Artwork by Simba Baylon @simbalenciaga. Prison sounds from Cody Lachey @ExOffenderCodyy.
Media Storm is brought to you by the house of The Guilty Feminist and is part of the Acast Creator Network.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.