1.6 Fatphobia: Healthcare by size - with Stephanie Yeboah and Essie Dennis
Media Storm presented by Mathilda Mallinson and Helena Wadia
Read the transcript: https://mediastormpodcast.com/2022/02/08/1-6-fatphobia-healthcare-by-size-with-stephanie-yeboah-and-essie-dennis/
Content warning: Fatphobia, disordered eating
Being told to lose weight is almost unavoidable. The news, TV shows, films, adverts and your family & friends mostly prescribe to the same school of thought: that being fat is 'bad', and that being thin is 'good'. But it turns out: that's not true. This episode, we look into weight bias in healthcare and how fatphobia in medical settings is putting the lives of plus size people in danger - especially those with the reproductive condition endometriosis. Plus, we're joined in the studio by Stephanie Yeboah and Essie Dennis to discuss how the mainstream media depicts plus size people and what needs to change, and how we can stop diet culture from stripping away the joys of everyday life.
Speakers (in order of appearance):
- Helena Burton-Jones @helena_mbj
- Katherine Irene @katherineirenecoaching
- Professor Rachel Batterham @ProfBatterhamMD @ObesityEmpower
- Stephanie Yeboah @stephanieyeboah
- Essie Dennis @khal_essie
Get in touch:
- Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/mediastormpod
- or Instagram https://www.instagram.com/mediastormpod
- or Tiktok https://www.tiktok.com/@mediastormpod
- like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MediaStormPod
- send us an email email@example.com
- check out our website https://mediastormpodcast.com
Music by Samfire @soundofsamfire.
Media Storm is brought to you by the house of The Guilty Feminist and is part of the Acast Creator Network.